LA PRESSE was the newspaper with the largest circulation of all French papers. According to an article in Le Charivari, in 1855 there were 15’352’498 pages printed for which 1’226’805 Francs were paid in stamp duty to the Government. In 1854 there were 12’440’568 pages printed; 996’774 Francs paid in stamp duty.
In this period five printing presses were running simultaneously on four cylinders under the supervision of Mr. Hippolyte Marinoni. The public was invited to watch the printing process of LA PRESSE every day between 4:30 and 6:30 at 123, rue Montmartre, Serrière et Co., official printers of LA PRESSE, of Livret officiel de l’Exposition universelle, of Cinq Centimes illustrés and other publications.